Michael D. Tauer is a partner in Kerstein, Coren & Lichtenstein’s litigation practice group. He represents plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts, in mediations and arbitrations, and before administrative agencies.
Michael has a broad range of litigation experience, including commercial and business disputes, employment disputes, health care compliance and civil and criminal litigation. His clients include individuals, small businesses and large corporations. A skilled litigator with more than a decade of experience, Michael works with his clients to understand their personal and business objectives in order to gain the best results possible.
- Appellate: Briefing and arguing First Amendment, employment and land use issues.
- Commercial and Business Disputes: From contract negotiations through all aspects of litigation, including conducting investigations, preparing court filings, managing discovery, dispositive motions, trials, alternative dispute resolution and appeals.
- Corporate Governance: Counseling senior management and boards on business, employment and compliance matters and conducting internal investigations.
- Employment Law: Drafting and revising employee handbooks, conducting compliance training for employees and managers, and investigating and responding to charges of discrimination and allegations of workplace misconduct.
- Health Care: Assisting health care institutions regarding contract negotiations, internal investigations, allegations of research misconduct, regulatory litigation, and compliance.
- Real Estate: Representing individuals and businesses in administrative and judicial proceedings involving commercial real estate transactions, fraud, zoning and construction disputes.
- Law clerk, Honorable Martha B. Sosman, Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts
- Founder and Member of Capital Campaign Committee, The University of Tennessee/West Institute for Cancer Research
- Member of National Leadership Council, LeBonheur Children’s Hospital
- Evolution of the Doctrine of Equitable Apportionment – Mississippi v. Memphis, 41 Mem. L. R. 897 (2011)
- Top 40 Under 40 Award 2014, Memphis Business Journal
- SuperLawyers, Business Litigation
- G. Joseph Tauro Distinguished Scholar Award
- Paul J. Liacos Scholar Award
- Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar Award
- Dean’s Award for Contracts
Recent Blog Posts and News
- KCL Opposes Motion to Dismiss in Mount Ida Case
What obligation does an institution of higher learning have to its students? That is the key question facing a federal judge in Boston after a hearing in April regarding the abrupt closure and sale of Mount Ida College in 2018. KCL represents the former Mount …
- Mount Ida College Students File Lawsuit Alleging Violations of Privacy, Fraud, and Negligent Misrepresentation by Shuttered School
Mount Ida College Students File Lawsuit Alleging Violations of Privacy, Fraud, and Negligent Misrepresentation by Shuttered School U.S. District Court Lawsuit Filed Against Mount Ida College, Board of Trustees, and Administrators BOSTON – Former student …
- KCL Insights: August 9, 2018
The latest issue of KCL Insights includes recent news and blog posts: Parent’s Death Sparks Siblings’ Disputes Over Inheritance KCL Resolves Complicated Personal Injury Case Download the PDF version: KCL Insights August 9, 2018
- KCL Insights: June 28, 8018
The latest issue of KCL Insights includes recent news and blog posts: Does Your Company Need an Employee Handbook? Andra Hutchins Volunteers with BBA Law Day in Boston Schools
- Does Your Company Need an Employee Handbook?
Despite the critical role that the human resources function plays in companies of all sizes, HR personnel and departments are all too often overlooked when a company is uating its priorities and resource allocation. One frequently overlooked tool, which is ava …
- KCL Expands Litigation Law Group with Addition of Michael Tauer
Kerstein, Coren & Lichtenstein is pleased to announce that Michael D. Tauer has joined the firm as a partner. Michael has nearly fifteen years of litigation and business law experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts, as …