Special Education Law

Contact our education law attorneys for more information:

KCL’s Special Education Law attorneys serve as advocates for students and families across Massachusetts. Our law firm assists those with disabilities, starting with children who are beginning early intervention all the way through high school. In addition, our Education lawyers represent college or graduate school students with disabilities and help them obtain the services to which they are entitled.

Learning or Physical Disabilities

Students with learning or physical disabilities may be entitled to Special Education services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Both the IDEA and Section 504 require schools to provide accommodations and/or services to qualified students with disabilities.


Our team of Special Education Law attorneys can assist you with all of your Special Education Law needs. We help parents navigate the world of Individualized Education Programs (IEP’s), review documents such as IEP’s and evaluations, attend Team meetings, negotiate with the school district and/or school attorney, advocate for proper services and accommodations, and represent students and their families in front of the Bureau of Special Education Appeals, all in an effort to ensure that each child receives those services to which the student is entitled.


In addition, we represent students with disabilities who are being bullied or harassed at school. The new Massachusetts Bullying Law provides additional protections for Special Education students by allowing the implementation of various safeguards in the student’s IEP. If you or your child is being bullied and you need legal representation, contact our office to find out more information on how the new law may protect you or your child.

504 Plans

If your child is found not eligible for special education services, he/she may still be able to get services through a Section 504 Plan. Congress recently expanded the list of disabilities under Section 504, allowing more students and individuals to be qualified to receive services and accommodations. Therefore, if you or your child has recently been denied Special Education services, you may still be eligible for certain services under Section 504.

Contact a Special Education Law Attorney

Our attorneys at Kerstein, Coren & Lichtenstein have lectured and authored in the area of Special Education Law and can help parents and their children during this emotionally difficult process. If you feel that you or your child is not receiving the proper services at school, contact our office and one of our Special Education Law attorneys will be available.