Maury has over 35 years of experience in construction law and litigation. He represents all players in the construction industry: private and public owners and developers, construction managers, general contractors, subcontractors, designers, and materials manufacturers. He represents clients in contract preparation and negotiation, problem-solving and preservation of rights during construction, and all types of dispute resolution: mediation, arbitration and litigation. Matters he handles include disputes involving breach of contract, negligence, breach of warranty, defective work, disruption, delay, mechanic’s liens, rights and obligations under performance, payment and lien bonds, public bid requirements, and Chapter 93A violations.
Admitted to practice law in Massachusetts, Maury regularly appears before the Massachusetts State and Federal Courts and the American Arbitration Association. Maury is a trained mediator and a member of the American Arbitration Association’s construction industry mediators’ panel. Maury lectures and prepares written material on construction law issues for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc., Lorman Educational Services, and Next Street. He regularly conducts seminars for clients to assist them in addressing law and business related issues and goals.
- Represented residential condominium association in multi-million dollar claim for construction defects against condominium developer, contractor, and management company for construction and design defects. Two months after filing suit, and before conducting any discovery, obtained a $1.6 million settlement.
- Defended window manufacturer/supplier against over $2M claim by high rise Boston waterfront condominium association for allegedly defective windows. Engaged window expert to refute association’s claims and settled for less than 20% of amount claimed.
- Represented large Boston non-profit in preparation and negotiation of design and construction contracts for new $80 million facility. When original contractor went out of business, prepared and negotiated contract with completing contractor. Negotiated settlements with several subcontractors which the original contractor failed to pay.
- Represented materials supplier in claim for seven figure contract balance against general contractor. When general contractor counterclaimed for delay, Maury determined that: contractor lacked documents essential to prove delay, contractor could not prove that supplier delayed project, and theory supporting delay claim was disfavored by courts in all 50 states. Using this information, Maury convinced contractor to drop delay claim and pay his client 75% of contract balance.
- Represented large Boston area developer in preparation and negotiation of design and construction contracts for $100 million mixed commercial and residential project in suburban Boston.
- Represented highly respected affordable housing contractor for over 30 years in contract negotiations and disputes of all varieties with developers and subcontractors.
- Represented hotel developer in preparation and negotiation of contracts to design and construct over $30M in new hotels and in disputes with general contractors.
- “Private parties powerless to expand scope of court’s review of arbitrator’s decision” (August 16, 2016)
- “General contractor’s false certifications bar it from any recovery from owner” (May 10, 2016)
- “Important new court decision for condominium owners and contractors” (March 2, 2015)
Recent Speaking engagements:
- Webinar for Northeast Roofing Contractors Association: “Email in the Workplace: the good, the bad and the ugly” (February 24, 2016)
- Architecture Boston Expo: “The six critical construction industry contract terms” (November 17, 2015)
- Next Street: “Contracts and Partnering” (March 5, 2015)
- AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards
- Named to the Best Lawyers in America list in the areas of Construction Law and Litigation – Construction (2015 – 2022)
- Named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers Top 100 list (2019 – 2021)
- Named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list in the construction litigation area (2006 – 2009 and 2016 – 2021)
Recent Blog Posts and News
- Kerstein, Coren & Lichtenstein Receives “Best Law Firms” Ranking in Construction Law and Construction Litigation
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers ranked Kerstein, Coren & Lichtenstein LLP in the 2022 edition of “Best Law Firms” in the National Tier 2 category for Litigation – Construction. The firm was also ranked in the Boston Metropolitan Tier 1 catego …
- KCL Attorneys Named to 2021 Massachusetts Super Lawyers Lists
KCL is pleased to announce that three of the firm’s partners were selected to the 2021 Massachusetts Super Lawyers® lists: Jeffrey Fink, Andrew Hyams and Maury Lederman. Maury was also named to the Top 100: 2021 Massachusetts Super Lawyers list for the third y …
- KCL Partner Maury Lederman Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America© List
KCL is pleased to announce Maury Lederman has been included in the 2022 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America. Maury has been recognized each year since 2015 in both Construction Law and Litigation – Construction. Best Lawyers is the only purely peer review g …
- KCL Partner Maury Lederman Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America© List
KCL is pleased to announce Maury Lederman has been included in the 2021 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America. Maury has been recognized each year since 2015 in both Construction Law and Litigation – Construction. Best Lawyers is the only purely peer review g …
- KCL Attorneys Named to Massachusetts Super Lawyers List
KCL partners Jeff Fink and Maury Lederman have been named to the 2020 Massachusetts Super Lawyers list. Maury also received the distinction of being named to the Top 100 list for the second year in a row. The recipients will be featured in New England Super La …
- Maury E. Lederman Named to 2018 Massachusetts Best Lawyers List
Maury E. Lederman, head of Kerstein, Coren & Lichtenstein’s construction law practice, was selected by his peers for inclusion in 2018 edition of The BestLawyers in America© and named to the list of Massachusetts Best Lawyers in the construction litigation …
- Maury Lederman Successfully Mediates Disputes Between General Contractor and Subcontractor
As a trained mediator and member of the American Arbitration Association’s panel of construction mediators, Maury Lederman is often called upon to resolve construction disputes. He recently helped to settle a dispute between the general contractor and a subcon …
- Maury Lederman Named to Massachusetts Super Lawyers Lists
Kerstein, Coren & Lichtenstein partner Maury E. Lederman has been named to the 2017 Massachusetts Super Lawyers lists. This is the sixth year Maury Lederman has been named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list in the area of construction litigation. Maur …
- KCL Insights: September 15, 2017
The latest issue of KCL Insights includes recent news and blog posts: Maury E. Lederman Named to 2018 Best Lawyers List Preservation of Land Use Restrictions 15 Years Ago—Six Figure Payout Today A Hemophilia Hero Scales Everest
- Maury E. Lederman Named to 2018 Best Lawyers List
Maury E. Lederman, head of Kerstein, Coren & Lichtenstein’s construction law practice, was selected by his peers for inclusion in 2018 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in the construction law area. This is the fourth year Mr. Lederman has been recog …
- KCL Insights: May 18, 2017
The latest issue of KCL Insights includes recent news and blog posts: Maury Lederman Selected to Best Lawyers List Steven Coren Presenting at MCLE Family Law Trial Advocacy Workshop June 5-9, 2017 Civil Rights Act Protects Gay Workers from Discrimination Psych …
- Maury E. Lederman Named to 2017 Best Lawyers List
Maury E. Lederman, head of Kerstein, Coren & Lichtenstein’s construction law practice, was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017 in the construction law area in both the litigation and non-litigation categories. This is t …
- KCL Insights: January 27, 2017
The latest issue of KCL Insights includes recent client wins and blog posts. KCL Congratulates Our Client ScrubaDub on Their Expansion and Profile in the Boston Business Journal – Robert Finkel Winter conditions claim frozen in its tracks: equity does not trum …
- Winter conditions claim frozen in its tracks: equity does not trump contract terms
Court Dismisses Contractor’s Claim Against Property Owner Summary In a recent Massachusetts Superior Court ruling on a motion for summary judgment in Cumberland Farms, Inc. (“CFI”) v. Tenacity Construction, Inc. (“Tenacity”), Suffolk Superior Court, No. 15-158 …
- General Contractor’s False Certifications that it Paid Subcontractors Barred it from Recovering from Owner
Summary In a case of first impression, a Massachusetts Superior Court judge recently ruled that a general contractor (G4S) could not recover over $14M from a public owner (MTPC) because G4S had violated its contract with MTPC by falsely certifying that it had …
- Maury E. Lederman Joins KCL as Head of Construction Law Practice
Kerstein, Coren & Lichtenstein is pleased to announce that Maury E. Lederman has joined the firm. Mr. Lederman will lead the Construction Law Practice. He joins the firm from Murtha Cullina LLP where he was a partner. “Maury is a trusted advisor and season …