Attorney E. Steven Coren has more than 40 years of experience representing individuals and families in personal injury cases, divorce and family issues, and probate litigation. As a civil litigator, he has appeared in most courts in Massachusetts and the United States District Court in Massachusetts. He is an approved mediator for the Middlesex Probate and Family Court and was formerly a Hearing Officer for the Board of Bar Overseers (2006-2012). Attorney Coren is Chair of the firm’s Personal Injury practice group and a founding member of the firm.
Attorney Coren graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and Boston University School of Law. He is licensed to practice before the courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, United States District Court of Massachusetts, United States First Circuit Court of Appeals, United States District Court of Northern California and has appeared in the courts of New Hampshire.
- Winning what is thought to be the highest slip and fall jury verdict in the history of Norfolk Superior Court in the amount of 1.34 million dollars. The Judge in the case commended Attorney E. Steven Coren saying, “I’ve seen a lot of slip and fall, trip and fall cases, but I think that was about as well tried as I’ve seen, Mr. Coren. You did a very fine job for your client.” Read the transcript from the case.
- Serving as appellate counsel in the case of Williams v. Vanaria, 2000 Mass. App. Div. 162 (2000), which affirmed the legal principle that a successor corporation is not liable for the debts of a preceding corporation where there are separation of identities, no transfer of assets, and separate bank accounts.
- Representing clients in all areas of probate law including estate and will disputes.
- Frequently appointed by judges of the Massachusetts Probate Courts as an administrator of troubled or contested estates.
- Presiding over hearings on complaints against attorneys as a Hearing Officer for the Board of Bar Overseers (2006-2012).
- Serving as conciliator-mediator for Middlesex and Norfolk Probate and Family Courts.
- Lecturer, MCLE Family Law Institute, 2015-present.
- Lecturer, Trial Practice and Procedure/Evidence, MCLE, 2014-present.
- Lecturer, Metrowest Legal Services, Divorce Institute, 2012-present.
- Attorney Coren is a founding partner of KCL and Chair of our Personal Injury and Litigation Practice Groups.
Special Interests – Education and Scuba Diving:
Attorney Coren has combined his passion for the law with his commitment to education and his love of scuba diving.
Actively involved in the field of law-related education, Attorney Coren has helped fosters programs in schools to teach students about the law and its procedures and created opportunities for students to participate in moot court programs. His activities include:
- Founding and serving as past president of the Massachusetts Association for Law-Related Education, Inc., and recipient of its Distinguished Service Award.
- Helping to found the Lawyer/Teacher Partnership Program within the Massachusetts Bar Association.
- Co-author of In Search of Justice: “Legal Education Materials for Secondary and Junior High Schools” published by the Massachusetts Bar Association and used in secondary schools throughout Massachusetts.
- Presenter at various law-related conferences, including American Bar Association Law-Related Education seminars, Massachusetts Bar Association Law-Related Education seminars and conferences, the Massachusetts Bar Association Law-Related Education lawyer-teacher partnership program and the Massachusetts Bar Association Law-Related Education Mock Trial program.
- Presiding annually as a judge for national mock trial competitions.
Attorney Coren is a certified scuba instructor and award winning underwater photographer. His accomplishments include:
- Author, “The Law and the Diving Professional,” published by the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), and it has been sold all over the world.
- Representing the Bay State Council of Divers and many scuba groups and dive shops.
- Successfully challenging a coastal town’s right to require every scuba diver to display his or her own dive flag, although the Massachusetts state law allowed groups of divers to have to only display one flag.
Speaking & Writing:
Attorney Coren frequently speaks at law related conferences, including the American Bar Association and the Massachusetts Bar Associations. Recent presentations include:
- MetroWest Legal Services, “Divorce Basics Training Seminar” (2016)
- MCLE New England, “Introducing & Excluding Evidence at Trial” (2016)
- Probate and Family Court Conciliation Training for the Norfolk and Middlesex Bar Associations (2015)
- MCLE Family Law Trial Advocacy Workshop (2016, 2015)
- 2014 and 2015 President’s Awards from the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys (MATA). The award is given annually to individuals whose commitment and dedication to MATA is extraordinary.
- 2013 Triple Threat pro bono award from MetroWest Legal Services. The award was given for service and dedication, including Attorney Cohen’s representation of pro bono family law clients, providing attorney-of-the -day services at Middlesex probate and family Court in Marlboro, Massachusetts and serving as moderator and lecturer on the Metrowest Divorce Seminar programs.
Recent Blog Posts and News
- KCL Insights: July 14, 2016
KCL Wins One of First Cases Under New Alimony Termination Law; I Wish I Had Known…….What Did I Sign?; And Recent Blog Posts The latest issue of KCL Insights includes: KCL Client is Entitled to Termination of His Alimony Obligation Under Alimony Reform Law …
- KCL Wins One of First Cases Under New Alimony Termination Law
KCL Client is Entitled to Termination of His Alimony Obligation Under Alimony Reform Law of 2011 KCL attorneys E. Steven Coren and Mary Beth Ayvazian successfully argued that KCL’s client was entitled to termination of his alimony obligation after paying 19 ye …
- Join Steven Coren at MetroWest Legal Services Divorce Basics Training Seminar June 11, 18 & 25, 2016
Family law attorney E. Steven Coren is presenting at the Divorce Basics Training Seminar on June 11, 18 & 25, 2016. The Training seminar is hosted by MetroWest Legal Services. Program: Divorce Basics Training Seminar Dates: June 11, 18, 25, 2016 Location: …
- Steven Coren Presenting at MCLE Family Law Trial Advocacy Workshop June 6-10, 2016
E. Steven Coren along with judges and other leading practitioners will conduct this 5-day family law trial advocacy workshop for divorce lawyers. The workshop teaches trial advocacy from motion practice—to expert witness examination—to final argument. Attorney …
- Join Steven Coren at the MCLE “Introducing & Excluding Evidence at Trial” Program on April 12, 2016
KCL Attorney E. Steven Coren is presenting at the MCLE New England’s “Introducing & Excluding Evidence at Trial” program on April 12, 2016. About the Program The mechanics of offering or opposing the introduction of evidence Every attorney who has tried a …
- Top Ten Reasons to Choose Divorce Mediation
By: Peri Kutchin & Steve Coren Divorce Mediation Divorce Mediation is an alternative available to divorcing couples that would like to play an active role in the decision making process. A divorce mediator is a neutral third party hired by a couple that w …
- Steve Coren Conducts Middlesex and Norfolk County Probate and Family Court Conciliation Training
Attorney E. Steven Coren conducted Probate and Family Court Conciliation Training for the Norfolk and Middlesex Bar Associations on October 23, 2015. Steve has 40 years of experience representing clients in divorce and family issues, probate litigation and per …
- E. Steven Coren Receives 2015 President’s Award from MATA
Please join KCL in congratulating E. Steven Coren on receiving the 2015 President’s Award from the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys (MATA). The award is given annually to individuals whose commitment and dedication to MATA is extraordinary. Steve serve …
- Steven Coren Presenting at MCLE Family Law Trial Advocacy Workshop June 8 – 12, 2015
Program: MCLE Family Law Trial Advocacy Workshop 2015 Date: June 8 – 12, 2015 Location: Boston, MA Registration: http://www.mcle.org/product/catalog/code/2150321P01 About the Workshop: E. Steven Coren along with judges and other leading practitioners will cond …
- The New Massachusetts Alimony Statue: What Does it Do?
Massachusetts recently enacted a new comprehensive alimony law which took effect March 1, 2012. The new law is a substantial change from what was the prevailing “old” alimony law. In some ways the old law was inequitable and could cause seemingly unfair conse …
- Auto Insurance… You May be Underinsured!
I handle claims for personal injury for clients injured in auto accidents. I regularly find that my clients do not have the necessary coverage to operate safely on the roads of Massachusetts. Insurance companies compete by offering the cheapest policy premium …